My Blackness is Everything to me.

My Blackness means everything to me. Being Black means I sometimes get to wear my hair straight or sometimes curly with no troubles. Being Black means my skin glows under every angle from the sun, thanks to "OUR" special gift from the universe. It's called Melanin by the way. Being Black means having rhythm when there isn’t a beat being played physically, but one that is being played within my soul. Being Black means I have to go a little bit harder than the "SUPERIOR" race, so "THEY" think. Being Black means I have to have thick skin in order to survive, so "THEY" say. Being black means I have to excel academically and athletically to pay respects to my ancestors. I wonder does "SHE" know just how wrong "SHE" was? "Being Black is a privilege". "HE" said. "Being Black has its disadvantages". "HE" also said. What could "HE" possibly know? "I" asked. 
"Being Black.....what does it take to be Black"? Being Black, I said.



1/27/2020
11:08 PM

2/4/2021
9:53 PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“You’re” by Sylvia Plath

AP ClassRoom (Wednesday)

Almost Christmas Break (Friday)